How many knew about her?
|Born||7 September 1963|
Chandigarh, Punjab, India
|Died||5 September 1986 (aged 22)|
Karachi, Sindh, Pakistan
Ashoka Chakra AwardJustice for Crime Award
Early life, education and marriage
- Ashoka Chakra Award, India
- Flight Safety Foundation Heroism Award, U.S.A.
- Tamgha-e-Insaaniyat (Awarded for showing incredible human kindness), Pakistan
- Justice for Crimes Award, United States Attorney’s office for the District of Columbia
- Special Courage award, US Govt.
- Indian Civil Aviation Ministry's Award
America honours Neerja Bhanot
Ashok Chakra (posthumous) awardee Neerja had fallen to terrorists' bullets while performing her duty as senior flight purser with Pan Am on Flight 73 that was hijacked at Karachi Airport on September 5, 1986. The Award was presented by Kenneth L Wainstein and Gregg Maissel of the US Attorney's office in Washington DC to Neerja's brother Aneesh Bhanot who had come to Washington DC specially for the occasion. This was one of the rare occasions when Indian nationals have been bestowed the prestigious award by the US Government.